Seafood stews from around the world have distinct ingredients but the similarities are clear.
Since there is no meat to brown, steps 2 – 5 go quickly, so get a early start on the veggies!
- Preliminaries For a total of 2 – 4 pounds of raw seafood: peel and devein shrimp (or buy it that way), scallops or sturdy white fish such as cod or halibut cut into in large chunks. For extra flavor and panache, scrub clean a pound of clams, mussels or octopus. Rinse in a colander, put the colander on a large flat plate and cover with wax paper to keep airborne particles off the fish as you work. When finished, put the plate and colander in the fridge.
- Heat pan A deep one or wok. Meanwhile, find the oil you’ll need:
Bouillabaisse Chowder Cioppino Curry olive oil peanut oil or butter olive oil ghee
- Heat oil And start to rummage for the first veggies:
- No meat to brown so peel and chop (roughly or fine) the onion(s)/shallots quickly.
- Sauté onion and garlic And collect these veggies:
Bouillabaisse Chowder Cioppino Curry diced potato bok choy, Chinese or purple eggplant, long beans, okra leeks, halved lengthwise celery, okra fennel bulb, green pepper
- Sauté veggies, spices And collect these spices:
Bouillabaisse Chowder Cioppino Curry saffron, fennel seed paprika, salt, white pepper red pepper flakes, thyme curry powder, tamarind concentrate, fish sauce bay Leaf (add after the wet ingredients)
Add the spices to the pan as you find them. Give them a stir.
- Add the wet ingredients
Bouillabaisse Chowder Cioppino Curry chopped fresh or canned tomato, fish broth, clam juice, water dry white wine, vermouth coconut milk
- Simmer Add the fish prepared in Step 1 to the lightly bubbling pot. Partially cover the pot or wok and let the stew gently simmer for 20 minutes. The curry could be garnished with cilantro; use parsley for the other variations.
- Add garnish, serve Ladle the soup into bowls (over noodles or rice if you like) and add appropriate garnishes. Traditionally, bouillabaisse broth is served over crusty bread with the fish and veggies on the side.